Anyone can wear some shade of red! The key is to learn which works best for you. So if you decided to go red - go and check out my post series where i explain which colours work on you, there's little theory and lots of examples with pictures, i am sure that in this case you'd find it helpful and may learn something new about basic colouring.
Find out if the red hair is for you:
- Keep in mind, blue-red like aubergine or red-red like Rihanna's hair color doesn't exist in nature. It may look really hot, and people can wear those hues, and they can be very flattering... However, they will never look natural. All reds that are natural for people are red-orange tones. So if you want hair color that looks natural, go with a red-orange shade ranging from the palest golden strawberry or copper to the most intense red-orange.
- If you are going to entrust your locks to proffesional hair colourist, discuss the tone through photos! Because people often have different ideas about what a copper, strawberry or auburn shade is. A photo ensures that you're speaking the same language. I once cried my eyes out because I had let my hair done by a so called proffesional, but instead of going out of salon fiery red, like I intended i had gone home with eggplant- looking hair!!!
- Also, you need to consider both the level and the tone of the color. That applies whether you're talking about reds, blondes or brunettes. The level describes the lightness versus darkness of the color while the tone is what you're seeing reflected in the color.
- Once you and your colorist are on the same page, you need to think about your entire image before proceeding. For example, wearing a certain shade might require a complete change in makeup. If you're willing to do that, go for it. Just consider the cost.
- Finally, know that red hair color fades faster than other shades because the red color molecule is the largest, making it the most difficult for the hair shaft to hold on to. The key to long-term success is to use a shampoo and conditioner especially formulated to preserve red hair color from day one.The mistake many people make is to wait till the hair color starts to fade and then try to revive it. You'll be much happier if you maintain your new red from the first day you wear it home.
- No matter if you dye your hair at home, or at a salon, you will probobly look a bit darker than intended. And that is alright, cause red tones fade out insanley fast. The brighter - the faster. The dye will wash out in a few days, and by that time, the red hair colors will have faded a bit so you'll have the shade you originaly wanted.